The Top 10 Reasons Why McDowell Mountain Ranch is one of the Best Communities in North Scottsdale!
McDowell Mountain Ranch is a wonderful community located in one of the country’s most desirable places to live – North Scottsdale.
1) Benefits of a master-planned community – This ground-breaking development transformed over 3,000 acres of desert into one of Scottsdale’s most award-winning communities. McDowell Mountain Ranch is now an active community for families and active adults. The community is located at the foothills of the beautiful McDowell Mountains. It consists of 3,200 acres with 26 neighborhoods, pools, a park, schools, community center, aquatic center, library, senior center and more!
2) Community/Activity Centers – McDowell Mountain Ranch offers 3 community centers for residents interested in both indoor and outdoor activities. The Community Center offers a swimming pool, play pool for tots, heated spa, 2 tennis courts, basketball court, sand volleyball court, splash pad. The McDowell Center offers spacious facilities for special events, with breathtaking views of the McDowell Mountains. The Recreation Center offers parks with picnic tables, playground equipment, tennis courts, a basketball court, heated pool and spa.
3) Great schools – The Scottsdale Unified School District has three schools conveniently located in McDowell Mountain Ranch. Desert Canyon Elementary School is a Pre-k through 5th grade school with an approximate enrollment of 550 students. 5th graders move on to Desert Canyon Middle School, located next to the elementary school. Desert Mountain High School utilizes a year long scheduling format to serve its student population of 2,350 in grades nine through twelve. In 1998, Desert Mountain became an International Baccalaureate Member School and is a magnet program for the Scottsdale Unified School District.
4) Kids activities – Looking for something for you children to do on the weekend, or maybe lessons for the aspiring gymnast, you’ll find many places that will interest your active child within minutes of home. The Ice Den offers both ice skating and hockey lessons, as well as family skate time throughout the week. Xtreme Gymnastics is a state of the art facility offering classes for the beginner to the competitive gymnast. Plumb Performing Arts Center has everything your little dancer needs – tap, ballet, hip hop, and more! If dance and tumbling isn’t for your child, try out Voices Studio for singing, acting or musical instrument lessons. The family can also take martial arts classes together at the Scottsdale Martial Arts Center. Aquasafe Swim School offers lessons and swim team for all ages, as well as the Aquatic Center offers swim lessons and other fun classes for kids and adults.
5) Aquatic center – The ideal place for the family during the summer – the McDowell Mountain Ranch Aquatic Center. Here you can practice your strokes in the eight-lane lap pool, or work on your diving technique on one of four diving boards. Less serious swimmers can glide down the tube waterslide or lounge on a tube in the lazy river. Scottsdale’s Summer Family Pass allows families of all sizes unlimited public swim and fitness center visits from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
6) Nearby golf – If you’re a golfer, there are many great courses within minutes of your home. McDowell Mountain Golf Club was built on the western slope of the McDowell Mountains and adjacent to the nationally recognized Westworld equestrian center. In spring of 2011, Phil Mickelson and “Coach” Steve Loy acquired the operating rights to McDowell Mountain Golf Club and took on a significant golf course enhancement and renovation that was designed to make the course more challenging for the better players, while at the same time making the course more forgiving, enjoyable and fun for beginning golfers, families and players of all abilities. Other public courses, including Grayhawk Golf Club and TPC Scottsdale (home of the Waste Management Phoenix Open), offer unique challenges while enjoying the beautiful Sonoran desert.
7) Dining – The list is almost endless of restaurants in the area for family outings, date nights, friend get-togethers and more! The Twisted Lizard specializes in making the best tasting Lahvosh in the valley while offering a wide variety lunch dinner options. The Temple Bar Sports Grill is a Chicago style Irish pub with an upscale atmosphere and a laid back attitude – the perfect spot for post-game dinner or a fun happy hour. Over Easy is a great breakfast spot, located at the end of the Ice Den. Try out the Wolfpack entree or the caramelized banana pecan brioche french toast, which were featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives! Tom’s Thumb Fresh Market offers a unique experience – have your car washed and detailed while you try out the BBQ cafe or have a drink at the wine bar. Zipps Sports Grill is a great spot to watch a game, play some pool or shuffleboard. If sushi is your favorite, try out Satori Sushi for a delicious meal or later in the evening for karaoke.
8) Arabian Library – The City of Scottsdale Arabian Library offers the local community public meeting rooms, public access computers, a children’s area with storytime room, group study rooms, a teen space and a snack bar. The 20,875 square foot library was completed in 2007 and emulates the slot canyons that are throughout Arizona’s deserts. The library offers programs for kids, teens, and adults, all open to the public. Conveniently located near Desert Canyon Elementary School, the library offers plenty of quiet space for after-school studies or tutoring. The drive-up window is a great perk as well – pick up books on hold without leaving the car. Did you know all of Scottsdale’s libraries are named after horses, including Mustang, Palomino and Appaloosa?
9) Westworld – Located in the shadows of the McDowell Mountains, Westworld is a premier, nationally recognized equestrian center and special events facility. Home to numerous horse shows including the Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show, Westworld also hosts the annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction which brings car enthusiasts from around the nation to Scottsdale. Monterra at Westworld is a 20,000 square foot hacienda-style venue which provides ballrooms and full service catering for social events and business functions.
10) McDowell Sonoran Preserve – The Scottsdale McDowell Sonoran Preserve is a permanently protected 27,800-acre sustainable desert habitat open daily for non-motorized trail use. The Preserve currently contains approximately 120 miles of non-motorized, multi-use trails (hike/bike/horse) accessed from multiple trailheads, open from sunrise to sunset free of charge. Popular trails include Tom’s Thumb, Gateway and Brown’s Ranch, which all offer spectacular views while enjoying the incredible Arizona weather. Click here for more information on the trails and trailheads.