Looking around North Scottsdale’s DC Ranch, it is clear to see the area is immaculately designed with multimillion dollar homes and exquisite Sonoran desert landscaping. But did you know this area of The Valley was once a working cattle ranch? It was chalked full of 4,000 head of cattle! Before being known as DC Ranch, the western face of the McDowell Mountains was inhabited by ancient man, the Hohokam a& Yavapai peoples, and the U.S. Army. In 1885, the area became known as DC Ranch when Dr. W.B. Crosby purchased the land. He named it DC, after the initials Doctor Crosby.
In 1919, E.O. Brown purchased the ranch and worked the ranch as a cattle ranch, drilling several wells to supply the animals with water. One of those wells is still operating and can be seen while hiking up to Tom’s Thumb from the west side of the McDowell Mountains. In 1940, the ranch conveyed to E.O.’s son, E.E. “Brownie” Brown. In 1963, Brownie and business partner, Kemper Marley, register the brand as joint tenants. After E.E.’s death, the brand transferred to Kemper Marley. Today, the famous brand belongs to DMB Associates as part of their 8,300–acre home, retail and golf course development.